Wednesday 17 July 2013

Mexico .. going south

The Tropic of Cancer worked it's magic. Driving south out of Mazatlan the grey desert of the last few weeks fell away and it began to get more humid, slightly less hot and very green. The road south wound its' way up from the coast and into the hills, and these were green, rolling hills. I made good progress that day until I got to a place called Tepic, on route. I had planned to stay a few days in the resort area, Nuevo Vallarta, which is just next door to the better known resort of Puerto Vallarta. A thunder strom had just caused a mud slip in Tepic so going through the centre of town was slow and the road difficult. After this the road kept rising into the hills, tight corners and more rain and mist which led to steady progress, it's a busy road to the coast.


Greenery

Coming down over the otherside I pulled in to a petrol station and into conversation with Gustavo (a picture taken by his daughter did not quite work out, it was a video of our feet, which was useful for me as I had not attempted the video feature before). He took our picture and told me to email him my progress. Then Javier, a local man dreaming of fitting out an old Landrover to travel to Panama, came for a chat, needless to say their English out did my Spanish. I eventually pulled into Nuevo Vallarta and found the place I was staying, Casa Virgilios, an amazing place, I felt very welcome and decided to rest for a few days, in luxury. I would highly recommend this to anyone.


Casa Virgilios and the lap of luxury



......suns going down



and they are ?

After a great rest I hit the road for a fun packed drive through Puerto Vallarta and down the coast to Manzanillo. The road hugged the bays with some amazing views but made for a harder ride after the motorways, I began to realise that I would not be covering the same distances from now on. I had been warned that this road was OK in the day but not at night, I began to see more Police/Army road blocks, most of which just waved me through, only once was I stopped and papers checked. In Manzanillo I met a Dutch guy who owned the local Pizzeria, he had married a Mexican and they had moved here just over a year ago, he had seen my bike with the number plates and came looking for the fellow gringo. In the morning he wished me well and I also got talking to a Spanish mechant seaman who had just flown in with two colleagues to join a ship in the harbour, an oil tanker. He told me they could be going to Australia or the middle east, he did not know, he liked Chile but wasn't keen on Mexico.


on the coast

From Manzanillo I road to Zihuatanejo and then down to Acapulco. Again I was warned about the road but kept to daylight and felt no risk. The people were changing, there was more subsistance farming obvious at the side of the road, makeshift stalls with pineapples, melons and bananas. Also, the 'topes' or speed bumps. I had read about these being everywhere and they are, you get a better sense for where they are likely to be after sometime, mostly in towns and villages, but they come in 'teams' as well as 'solo', you can hear the suspension creek. To the experienced Mexican they offer an overtaking oppourtunity, they also give people the chance to sell stuff, you're almost at a stand still, may as well grab a bite and drink. I will not be sorry to see the end of 'topes', but they live also in central and south America so sometime yet (and in Nottingham and ...)


curves and greenery

I will not be riding a bike through Acapulco again, amazing number of VW Beetles but they are all on a mission, to get in front of you and they are Taxis. Having escaped in one piece I took a long ride down to a very small place called Zipolite, right on the coast (bit of a theme here).



air brakes ?

Stayed a couple of nights in CabaƱas Biuzaa, was met by the manager, cold beer and he sent out for food, I had been on the road for about 8-9 hours and was very tired, a great welcome. Just a hut(ish) up in the bush, veiw of the sea and about the least money I had paid in Mexico (and of course North America). Very chilled, a muddy and rutted road to get to but worth it, as long as I make it down in one piece.



in the bush, Calla Bizuzzi


on the beach, wind and rain

So, now planning for the border into Guatemala, where and when to cross, documents needed, lots to think about. This will govern where I go next in Mexico.

One other quick point, I am having some problems accessing this account, partly this is because I am moving around so much (and google gets worried) but they also inform me that there have been attempts to 'hack' the account, gawd knows why. If it dies I will just start another and leave a comment on the old blog giving the new address, should you be interested, of course. Many thanks and enjoy the heatwave in the UK.




2 comments:

  1. glad to hear you are ok. Me & the "other" ginge were talking about you at the gate today & both said you aint updated for a while. Keep riding...stay safe buddy & good to see the st Christopher is doing its work :) xxx debs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google worried that you may be travelling whilst writing a travel blog? Mmmm

    ReplyDelete